Carlisle Colts 10 v Wigton Colts 21

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 9 years 5 months 24 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Saturday, 25th October 2008


Carlisle had a free league weekend and Wigton’s scheduled league opponents, Consett, having withdrawn from the league, so this was a hastily arranged friendly.  Wigton demonstrated they are a force to be reckoned with this season but Carlisle battled throughout, and for much of the game we were well in contention.

The weather over the weekend was atrocious, but the Carlisle pitch was fine and well grassed.  Carlisle had the benefit of a strong wind in the first half and had the lions share of possession.  Wigton were tenacious in defence and looked dangerous with the ball in hand.  They scored firsdt when, on their first incursion into the Carlisle half, a jinking run from their fly half saw him score a try near the posts…and converted. The slippery conditions dictated a tight game and there was no further score to half time.

Wigton dominated th early exchanges of the second half with the elements in their favour, but this time the Carlisle defence doggedly held out.  Carlisle began to assert themselves, particularly in the forwards, but having worked their way into the visitors half, saw an interception from the Wigton fly half, and he raced 50m to score under the posts.  Conversion of the try took the score to 14 – nil.  But Carlisle heads didn’t drop and Keiron Little finally got the ball in the Wigton half with enough space to sprint over for a try.

The game see-sawed for the final twenty minutes with Wigton pressing, but Carlisle denying them whilst always looking to break out.  Again though, it was a Carlisle error that allowed for yet another interception and converted try.  Carlisle dug deep and in a final foray deep into Wigton territory saw Stepehn Hodgkinson scramble over for a consolation try.

The Colts return to league action next Saturday when they travel to Morpeth seeking their first league win.