Crusaders Lose Cumbria Vase Final

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 11 months 3 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Saturday, 9th May 2009

The Crusaders entertained Kendal at Warwick Road in the Cumbria Vase final, and just missed out by 1 point in a tight and exciting match that finished 6 pts to 7 pts.

Action from the Cumbria Vase Final at Warwick Road

Action from the Cumbria Vase Final at Warwick Road










Unbelievable weather conditions in the first half saw two teams trying desperately to play a good standard of rugby.

Carlisle took an early lead through a penalty from Matt Rogers and half through this opening period he added a second.

Penalty!  Matt Rogers prepares to take the kick

Penalty! Matt Rogers prepares to take the kick










In 80 minutes of rugby Carlisle only lost their concentration once when Kendal were awarded a penalty just outside the home 22.  It was quickly taken by the Kendal number 8 who ran at the retreating Carlisle pack and before they had time to adjust to the imminent threat, Kendal touched down for the only try of the game  – converted.

In the second half, the Crusaders did everything but score points – on a couple of occasions Carlisle players broke free only to be dragged down by an efficient Kendal defence just short of the line.  Franny Dixon pounced on a Kendal error with ten minutes remaining, kicking through and going clear; a second kick saw the ball fly away to his left at ninety degrees and a clear chance of a score went begging.

Matt Rogers was unlucky with another two penalty attempts’

Crusaders hooker, John Bowman, had an outstanding game with some strong carries and solid defence;  the Carlisle midfield defence was noticeably strong with Jack Oddie making good ground in the early difficult conditions.

Hooker John Bowman  - had a competent match against Kendal.

Hooker John Bowman - had a competent match against Kendal.











Overall, it was a good hard fought game and competently refereed by Neil Carruthers from Netherhall..

Although the losing side were naturally disappointed it was an excellent advert for 2nd XV rugby and a sizeable crowd appreciated the entertainment on view.

If ever there was an example of the camerarderie and friendship that the game of rugby offers, then it was during this match  –  one of the Kendal lads chose to play in the game surrounded by friends  –  helping to take his mind off the tragic events of earlier in the week when, sadly his girlfriend died suddenly.  The thoughts of all at Carlisle RFC are with him in hour of need.

Finally, Crusaders can take heart from the fact that they all but eclipsed a team of lads on stand by to make a claim for a place in the Kendal; 1st XV  –  National Three North  –  the standard of the rugby was high and hopefully it will be carried forward into the new season.

Squad for the match:

Adam Spiers
John Bowman
Mark Allan
Callum Gray
Stewart Graham
Richard Bearchell
Dan Logan
Richard Percival
Arron Murray
Matt Rogers
Franny Dixon
Martin Plummer
Jack Oddie
Dan Holmes
Max Connon
Ian Watson
Matt Davies
Matt Corrigan
Jack Tranter
Calum McSkeane
Chris Kersop