Under 15’s Carlisle v Penrith

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 7 months 10 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

On a pleasantly warm Sunday morning, the under 15’s kicked off the season against local rivals Penrith, in what was to be a keenly fought contest.

Carlisle had barely time to blow away the summer cobwebs, when after 10 minutes on the clock, sustained Penrith pressure down the left hand side saw them cross for a try in the left corner, which was unconverted. A good response by Carlisle was required and following some dominant forward work down the left,  a training ground inspired crossfield kick by Andy G found Scott on the right wing who raced in under the posts for the first Carlisle try, converted by Andy.

The forwards continued to work hard and support each other and following sustained pressure inside Penrith’s 22, the ball was worked across to the right for Jack Mitchell to crash through for the second try(unconverted).With minutes to go before half time, a 22 drop out by Carlisle fell into the arms of Scott on the right wing who raced to Penriths 10m line,laying off in the tackle to Josh Barton in close support who scored under the posts(converted). Half-time score 19-5

In the second half, Carlisle started as they finished and good forward work again resulted in a scrum on Penriths 22 on the right hand side. Another well worked training ground move saw the ball worked quickly across the back line through four pairs of hands for Wilson to touch down on the left for the fourth try(unconverted).

After the Penrith restart the ball was worked out to the left, and a kick into space down the right, was energetically chased down by Stuart Cannon who pressurised the Penrith back and forced the turnover. Good close support from Jack Mitchell allowed him to power his way down the Penrith right to score in the right corner for his second try and Carlisle’s fifth(unconverted).Unfortunately a few minutes later, a clash of legs left Captain Jack in extreme pain in the middle of the pitch, and with the ambulance on its way, the match was abandoned with 20mins to go.
Overall a very encouraging start to the season after a very competitive, but enjoyable match to watch, with thanks to Ben Blain for refereeing a free-flowing game.

Full report PDF