U15’s v Aspatria

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 6 months 3 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

The Under 15’s got back to winning ways with a hard fought win in a pulsating game against local rivals Aspatria. Aspatria got off the mark quickly with a well worked try in the corner with only a few minutes on the clock.

Carlisle had to soak up a lot of pressure and another potential Aspatria try was held up on the line. Winning the scrum against the head, a chip and chase from the 22 resulted in winger Callum Clark breaking down the right, and with Jack Mitchell in support the ball was kicked on pressuring the Aspatria back into conceeding a 5m scrum. From the resulting scrum, the ball was worked left for centre Wilson Noctor to break the Aspatria defensive line and touch down for the first Carlisle try.

Aspatria were quick to regain the advantage and quickly broke back scoring their second try despite some desperate defensive work by the Carlisle team. The game then went through a phase of exchanges of possesion before a piercing run by Callum Clark resulted in a line out on the Aspatria 10m line. Good work by the forwards in stealing the ball, released centre Scott Hogarth to bulldoze his way through two players for the second try. Aspatria were not to be outdone though, and their full back scythed his way through a static Carlisle defence to score their third try just before half-time.

Half-time score 12-15.
Aspatria started brightly in the second half and pressurised the Carlisle defence in their 22. However good work by the Carlisle forwards in stealing the ball from a ruck, allowed fly-half Andy Glendinning to kick a searching ball deep into the Aspatria half. Pressuring the Aspatria back into a fumble, Jack Mitchell had an easy run in to score under the posts for the third Carlisle try, which Dean Kirsopp converted with his own version of the crossbar challenge game.

Aspatria were not going to easily give in and after some more desperate defence by Carlisle, the visitors full back scored another solo effort in the left hand corner to regain the lead. Carlisle were beginning though to move the ball around, and a good run by Scott Hogarth, ably supported by Stuart Cannon allowed Carlisle to set up a ruck deep in the Aspatria 22, from which the ball was worked wide left to winger Joel Collins-Butterworth to score the fourth Carlisle try. With Carlisle forwards Carlyle, Cannon, Kirsopp and Mitchell, competing and increasingly stealing line-out ball, another stolen line out allowed Wilson Noctor to kick through and chase. Despite the Aspatria back attempting to kick the ball dead, persistance by Wilson in chasing the ball, allowed him to touch it down before it crossed the dead ball line for his second and Carlisle’s fifth try.

With the team now two scores in front, they began to play with a bit more confidence, and following a free-kick inside Aspatrias 22 on the left, the ball was worked across to the centre. From the resulting  ruck, scrum half Ollie Armstrong picked out Andy Glendinning sitting back from the action who floated a drop goal through the middle of the uprights to put Carlisle further ahead. Aspatria still had some fight left in them and another fine try by the full back brought them within a score of a draw.

Carlisle didn’t however let them back into the game and kept the visitors pinned in their half. With hooker Chris Marsh again winning one against the head in a scrum on the Aspatria 22, the ball was worked left for Scott Hogarth to touchdown for the sixth try with the last play of the game.

Full report PDF