Carlisle Colts 15, Morpeth Colts 3

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 4 months 10 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Saturday 07 November 2009

Todays match found Carlisle Colts at home for the second time, and needing a positive result to rekindle their season.  
Pitch conditions having deteriorated due to the recent heavy rains would be a contributing factor to the final score, and with the weather continuing to be poorfor a great deal of the game . . . it was going to be messy.

Carlisle kicked off the first half immediately with a score, a great chase following the kick and the ball was in Carlisle possession, the attack was reset with the ball eventually finding Carl Robertson who crossed the line: continuing Carlisle pressure and then a strong break from fly half Matthew Minnett who found centre Aidan Hermaston and Carlisle were on the scoreboard again taking the score to 10 – 0 within the first five minutes. However, the next twenty minutes found Carlisle being constantly penalised for poor discipline in both the ruck and scrum areas, Morpeth maybe due to the conditions did not take full advantage of the awarded penalties managing to score only once; Carlisle would continue to be penalised throughout the game. With the score now at 10 – 3 and five minutes remaining of the first half Carlisle crossed the line again with good support play being the key, Ryan Howe put a further 5 points on the scoreboard in what was to be both the half and full time score.

The second half continued in much the same way as the bulk of the first half: Carlisle were to see three players binned, with two of those off the pitch for the final eight minutes, it is difficult to say why the tally of offences was so high against Carlisle, which will need to be corrected for future games; this said both teams showed excellent handling skills throughout the game which was not expected in these ‘soapy’ conditions. Ellis Little at full back made a try saving tackle  to prevent Morpeth from crossing the line.

A mention needs to go to the five under sixteens who played in the Carlisle side, all five made an impact on the game and will no doubt feature in further games. Many thanks to the Morpeth team and staff for making the journey over,  and to Bill and the bar staff who made all welcome in the club following the game.

The Colts are at home again against Northern, Saturday 14th November.