U14’s v Egremont Nov 14th

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 2 months 30 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Egremont made the trip through to Carlisle for a 2.00pm kick-off on what was a wonderful sunny afternoon.  The west Cumbrian side were short on numbers, but were loaned players from the home side to make up the short fall.

Carlisle Cobras started very strongly, pushing through the Egremont defence within the first minute leading to an unconverted try by inside centre, Thomas Fuller. This was closely followed when Joel Davidson went over the try line on 3 mintues, which fly half, Brett Connon duly converted.

The game continued at a fast pace, with Carlisle dominating most of the play, camping in Egremont’s half for long periods. This resulted  in a 7th minute, unconverted try by James Robson after a powerfull run through the middle.  Egremont battled hard to try and keep the Cobra’s forwards from making ground,  but some slick passing  through the two centres, saw stand in full back Jason Israel take the ball at pace from a wide position to slide over the line in the corner for the Cobra’s third try in the 13 minute.

Joel Davidson made two surging runs down into the Egremont 22, before being brought down by a very resiliant Egremont defence, but some good interlinking play between the Carlisle sides forwards and backs, brought the Cobras inside Egremonts 22. Guy Wilkinson finally emerged with the ball to power his way over the line in the 15th minute of the game, which again was converted by Brett Connon.

Yet more powerfull running and wonderfull handling from the backs, led to James Robson scoring his second try of the game two minutes later.

Egremont to their credit, carried on with plenty of grit determination in both attack and defence, and tried to take the game to Carlisle without any reward, constantly being repelled by strong Carlisle pack. A break away try by the speedy Mark Foster in the 19th minute, took the  Egremont side by surprise.  Connon duly added the extra two points.

Carlisle then rotated the two players loaded to the Egremont side in the later stages of the first half  when  Henry Wainwright and Henry Berry, replaced Jake Mangan and Stuart Cruikshank.

Further tries by Dan Smales on 21 minutes, and Thomas Fuller on 23 mintues, both converted by Brett Connon brought the first half to an end with the home side leading by 57 points to Nil.

The second half saw more Carlisle players join the opposition ranks when Joel Davidson and Guy Wilkinson took mover from the two Henrys, this was soon followed by Chris Mapp who went over to the Egremont side due to an injury in their ranks.

Three minutes into the second half saw Cobras get their 10th try of the game, scored by Daniel Gomersall and confidently converted by Jason Israel who had taken over the goal kicking duties from Brett Connon.  The Cobras continued their domination over the Egremont side, but strong running from Guy Wilinson in his capacity as sub for the visitors, saw a slight upturn in the Egremont game, with several of their players making good breaks towards the Cobras line.

In the 14th minute of the second half, James Robson scored again for the Cobras, his third of the afternoon which was again converted by Jason Israel.  Minutes later, Lewis Reed received quick ball from the breakdown, which saw him speed into Egremonts 22, only to fall short of his first try of the afternoon when tackled just short of the try line.

Egremont again battled to gain some possession in the Cobra’s half without much success, constantly being repelled.

James Robson stormed through the right hand side of Egremonts defence in the 19th minute to score Cobras 12th try of the game, his forth, which went unconverted.

Egremont , who never gave up all afternoon, were rewarded when a surging run  from Callum Farrer saw the visitors get their first try of the game in the 23rd minute. This was unfortunately not converted.

More late pressure from the Carlisle pack in the final minutes of the game led to Jake Mangan crossing the try line for his debut try for The Cobras and the final try of the match, again by Jason Israel. Final score 83 – 5

Compliments go out to both sides for the spirit, manner and attitude in which the game was played.

Full match report