Under 15’s V Kirkby Lonsdale

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 5 months 11 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

The under 15’s travelled to a soggy Kirkby Lonsdale to try to re-establish their winning ways and succeeded with an determined performance against a depleted Kirkby Lonsdale side, bolstered by a couple of our players.

Carlisle played uphill in the first half and dominated posession and territory, yet just couldn’t break through a strong Kirkby Lonsdale defence. With Alex Murray unlucky to have been held up twice on the line, the ball was worked left from a scrum to Harry Manton who although unable to find a way through, recycled the ball back from the resulting ruck for Jack Mitchell to crash through for the first try. It wasn’t long though before the home side broke back and strong running from their centre allowed them to put two quick tries on the board before half time.

Carlisle were not to be disheartened though and attacked from the beginning of the second half,putting the Kirkby Lonsdale defence under immense pressure. Although they managed to hold up the Carlisle attack three times on the line, the ball was eventually worked right for Wilson Noctor to bulldoze his way through the defence to score at the right upright, which Andy Glendinning converted. Kirkby Lonsdale tried to break back into the game, but a kick to fullback Ben Shadwick was returned with interest, and pressure on the Kirkby Lonsdale back from a chasing Scott Hogarth allowed him to cross in the left corner for the third try. With the Carlisle side now growing in confidence, and some excellent driving runs from Chris Marsh, James Bulman and the unstoppable Alex Murray, gaps were beginning to open up in the Kirkby Lonsdale defence.

The back line began to take advantage of the posession and with fly-half Glendinning and inside centre Josh Barton working the ball wide, winger Scott Hogarth claimed his second try under the posts, Glendinning converting. Shortly after the re-start, with Carlisle pushing forward, from a Carlisle ruck on the Kirkby Lonsdale 5m line, the ball was worked wide for Andy Glendinning to touch down in the left corner.  Scott Hogarth then claimed his hat-trick with a fine run through the middle of the home defence, scoring the sixth Carlisle try, Glendinning converting.

The Carlisle forwards were beginning to dominate, and a typically strong run from number eight Stuart Cannon, saw him race nearly 50 metres before just being hauled down a few metres short of the line. However good support work from Thomas Carlyle and the rest of the forwards in the resulting ruck allowed Ollie Armstrong, playing in the unfamiliar role of flanker, to scramble across for the last Carlisle try, which Barton converted.

All credit to Kirkby Lonsdale who didn’t give up, and a mazy 80 metre run through the Carlisle defence saw their talented centre complete his hat-trick and score their third try under the posts with the last play of the game.
Despite the soft conditions underfoot, this was an entertaining game to watch, with both teams committed to providing a competitive but fairly fought contest. Carlisle should now hope to build on this performance for their next two away games to teams in the North East.