Under 15’s 31 v Morpeth 17

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 3 months 5 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

After a below par performance the previous week, the Under 15’s were looking to redeem themselves against a useful Morpeth side.

However with only a few minutes on the clock Morpeth got themselves on the board after some tame tackling by the home team let the visitors in on the right touchline. Carlisle however managed to wake themselves up and after some good interlinking forward and back play they were unlucky to be denied in the left corner.

The resulting 22 drop out from Morpeth was picked up and worked right. With Morpeth infringing at two succesive rucks the home side took advantage of the penalties to tap and go and and sheer weight of numbers forced an equalising try under the posts by Dean Kirsopp, which Andy Glendinning converted.

Carlisle were then to quickly take the lead from the re-start. Some good forward play by Chris Marsh and Alex Murray down the right touchline, allowed some quick ruck ball by scrum half Andy Barker to release the backs across the left, with outside centre Andy Glendinning breaking through the stretched Morpeth defence to touch down under the posts.

The game then heated up quite considerably with a stramash on the left touchline at a line out, which resulted in Alex Murray being sin-binned,and a mystery man in black fortunate not to follow him. With tensions high and the visitors refereeing the game from the touchline, Morpeth pressed their numbers advantage and although Carlisle scrambled a defence to prevent a try on the left, the resulting 5m scrum was turned into a try under the posts for the visitors just before half time.

With some fresh legs on in the second half Carlisle were determined not to let the numbers disadvantage ruin their game and pressed forward to keep Morpeth in their own half. Wilson Noctor was unlucky not to score the third try when after a darting run and kick through the defence he was narrowly beaten in a foot race to the try line. However the third try was not long in coming and after a kick through by Scott Hogarth was knocked on by the Morpeth back, from the resulting scrum the ball was fumbled on the try line by Morpeth and fly half Ben Shadwick quickly dived on it to move Carlisle further ahead.

The fourth try came from the resulting restart with Chris Marsh catching and driving forward, with a deft lay off to Jack Mitchell who took two defenders with him and set up Scott Hogarth to race down the right touchline and score under the posts, which Josh Barton converted. Carlisle were now dominating posession and forcing Morpeth on to the back foot. A kick to touch by Morpeth set up Carlisle’s last try of the match. With Carlisle winning the line out, scrum half Ollie Armstrong dummied the encroaching Morpeth defence and darted through the line out to race through for an great individual try.

With the game over the home side lost concentration and allowed Morpeth back into the game to score their second try in the corner, with almost the last play of the game. This was a good passionate team effort with 100% commitment from all the players to beat a determined Morpeth side 31 – 17.

View Full report