Under 15’s V Alnwick

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 3 months 12 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

After a few weeks with cancelled matches due to the weather, the under 15’s attempted to kick start the rest of the season with a match against Alnwick on Central Fields.

Unfortunately Neptune was unavailable for the match because we could have done with him on the right wing given the conditions of the pitch. Your intrepid reporter attempted some bog snorkelling on the far touchline, whilst acting as touch judge.

Far being the operative word, since it was far away from the rest of the spectators who huddled around the flasks of soup. The lack of match practice and the cold wet weather combined to give us a nightmare with handling, with Alnwick much quicker to adapt to the conditions, and they quickly scored a try on the right which they converted.

Although Carlisle attempted to get stuck into the game, and forwards Alex Murray and Chris Marsh were often at the front trying to batter through Alnwicks defence, too often a dropped pass or knock on halted some promising moves. In one move, a kick and chase from wing Scott Hogarth almost resulted in a try at the posts but the ball bounced awkwardly off the post and Alnwick scrambled it clear. From then on the Alnwick side dominated the rest of the half and scored two well worked tries to finish the first half 17-0 up.

The second half saw a slightly better performance, with some positional changes being tried out. Some stout defence held up some strong Alnwick attacking play on the line, and Carlisle seemed to be holding their defensive position. A couple of good breaks managed to get Carlisle into some promising positions only for the final pass not to go to hand.

With Alnwick stealing a quick throw in on the Carlisle 10m line to score their fourth try, the game was killed off and despite a late flurry of forward pressure from Carlisle, the Alnwick side were just too good on the day, and prevented any hope of a consolation score from the home side.

Thanks go to Alnwick for providing stiff opposition, Ben Blain for refereeing, and Barry Israel for the soup.

View full report