Under 16’s v Mowden Park

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 7 years 10 months 6 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

The weather Gods were kind to us……..the predicted hard frost failed to materialise, and we were able to welcome Darlington Mowden Park to Warwick Road.

As with all games against North East opposition, we expected a tough competitive game, and were not disappointed.
Injuries and holidays had reduced Carlisle to a “bare bones” of 16 players, but the home team were quick out of the blocks.
After two minutes, a good take of a high ball by Ben Fisher, released Tom McMann who made great ground before passing to Jordie Clement to score in the corner.

There followed a spell of end-to-end rugby with neither team dominating before Alex Clark broke down the left, delivering a great reverse pass to Jamie Harrison who made further yardage, allowing Ben Fisher to follow up and score. Again the try was unconverted.

After twenty minutes, Mowden’s efforts were rewarded by a try which followed some great driving and recycling by the forwards.

Another midfield battle between the 22s ensued, only interrupted when Carlisle had a try chalked off for a forward pass.
Carlisle continued to absorb determined pressure from the visitors, but this was relieved by Adam Robertson’s boot, quickly chased up the left by Alex Clark. A quick penalty followed which led to Alex Peart (making the most of a rare start at his preferred scrum half position) diving over for a try in the corner.

Mowden are made of tough stuff however, and the try of the match saw a run from fully 80 yards leave numerous tacklers in his wake……to score under the posts for an easy conversion.

Half time………..Carlisle 15 – 12 Mowden Park

The second half resumed at a hectic pace, with Carlisle camping in Mowden territory.
The conditions were not, however, conducive to flowing rugby.

A few minutes in, a Mowden breakaway against the run of play looked like a certain try, until Adam Robertson made a great tackle into touch with a handful of yards to spare.

Tom “Rocky” Fisher was then sin-binned for apparently defending himself too enthusiastically under the nose of the referee.

This led to a positional reshuffle, with Adam Robertson switching to his “ County” position of hooker.
Carlisle continued pressure was then rewarded when great handling in the line allowed Jordie Clement another chance to use his pace and score his second try of the match. Tom McMann converted to increase the lead.

Both teams continued to battle hard, but when “Rocky” Fisher was allowed back on, a fifteen strong Carlisle never looked like conceding again.

However, the second half dragged on for an eternity, with witty comments flowing on the touchline about the need for floodlights and such like.
When the final whistle was eventually blown, both teams were exhausted after a tough game.

Final score……….Carlisle 22 – 12 Mowden Park

Man of the match…………Adam Robertson

View full report document