U14’s v Keswick 6th Dec 2009

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 3 months 4 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Carlisle Cobras (Under 14’s) welcomed Keswick to a very wet and muddy Warwick Road after the recent spell of very wet weather, to play on a pitch that at best was boggy.

Keswick started the game very strongly indeed, pushing through Carlisle’s defence in the 4th minute of the game, leading to a well deserved try by Dan Stephenson which was not converted.

Good handling between the Carlisle forwards and backs, saw the Cobras camped on Keswick’s 22 with the visitors putting up stern resistance until Chris Mapp broke a couple of tackles going over the line for a Carlisle try in the 7th minute to level the score, which was unconverted .

Shortly after that the game was halted for over 5 minutes to enable Lewis Fuller to recieve treatment to a knee injury, this resulted in Lewis missing the rest of the match.

More powerful running and wonderful handling from Tom Fuller and Tom Coulthard led to the Cobras making good gains into Keswick territory, Chris Mapp went on to score his second try in the 20th minute of the game, again unconverted.

The Cobras continued to dominate Keswick’s half for the rest of the  first period, with Tom Coulthard scoring a breakaway try for Carlisle just before the break, again unconverted. It was a sorry day for the kickers of both sides due to the pitch looking more like no-mans land at the Somme in 1916, with kickers unable to get a firm hold on their standing leg and a strong cross wind.

At the start of the second half the Cobras got their 4th unconverted try of the game, when Tom Fuller went over to make the score 20 – 5 to the home team.  The Cobras then  seemed to lose their way and handed domination back to the Keswick side, who constantly asked questions of the cobras defence. The visitors scrapped for everything which led to a penalty awarded to them, but again, the points went begging.

Keswick were gaining more and more possession in the Cobra’s half, and were rewarded for their endeavour  with a try in the 6th minute of the second period from James Addyman, once again, the kicker failed to add the extra points.

The second half continued to see Keswick sustain increased pressure on the Cobra’s back line, and another injury to the already depleated forwards, forced the Cobras Joel Davidson to retire from the game with a back injury.

Keswick, who never gave up forcing the game, were rewarded when a run from  James Addyman saw the visitors get their 3nd  try bringing the score back to 20 – 15, unfortunately not converted.

More late pressure from the visitors in the final minutes, led to James Addyman scoring his 3rd try of the match, and the final try of the game under the posts. Robbie Bland stepped up to kick the only conversion of the game to see the visitors go away with a well deserved victory. Final score, Cobras 20 – 22 Keswick.

Well done to to both sets of players for playing entertaining rugby in difficult conditions.

Full match report

[slidepress gallery=’cobras-v-keswick-6th-dec-2009′]