Under 15’s v Tynedale

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 7 years 11 months 20 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

24th Jan 2010

After a 6 week lay off, the under 15’s were looking to blow away the cobwebs with a good performance in a re-arranged match against Tynedale.

The team made a solid start with Andy Glendinning giving his opposing centre a taste of the Tynedale pitch. Carlisle looked as if they had not suffered too much from the lack of match practice and were moving the ball around the backs to try to penetrate the Tynedale defence.

As Wilson Noctor kicked through from within the Carlisle 22, the opposing fullback was placed under pressure by our chasing forwards and with the ball cycled across the backs to the left hand side, fullback Jack Walker penetrated the opposing defence to score the first try.

Straight from the re-start Wilson caught and ran the ball for 40m before being stopped, and although we managed to work the ball left, a punt over the Tynedale defence was narrowly touched down by Tynedale for a 22 drop-out.

Tynedale managed to get into the game though after some passages of play in the middle of the park caught the Carlisle defence flat footed. A kick through our defence resulted in a foot race with the Tynedale winger just managing to get a finger to the ball before Jack Walker. In a copycat move,Tynedale then managed to repeat this a few minutes later with the speedy winger bagging his second try.

With Tynedale beginning to exert some pressure on the Carlisle defence, No 8 Stuart Cannon picked up from the back of a ruck and stormed his way upfield, and was held up on the Tynedale 22m line. With good support work from forwards Chris Marsh and James Bulman, the ball was worked left in front of the Tynedale posts where the home side gave a penalty away. With Tynedale repeatedly infringing and giving away penalties, the ball was cycled out right, for Jack Mitchell to storm over for the second Carlisle try.

Half-time 10-10

The second half started brightly enough for Carlisle, and only a marginal forward pass denied Joel Collins Butterworth an early try, after a good passage of interplay between backs and forwards. Tynedale however continued to use the boot to good effect and another kick and chase resulted in their winger collecting the ball to steal a try under the posts.

Carlisle were not be outdone though and following some aggressive running by Alex Murray, the ball was worked to fly-half Ben Shadwick who kicked through to put the Tynedale fullback under pressure. With Jack Mitchell enveloping him and forcing the spillage, Ben was there to collect the loose ball and score the third Carlisle try, converted by Andy Glendinning.
However Tynedale were not to be denied, and another kick and chase by them resulted in a try in the left corner.

With Carlisle looking to presure  Tynedale  into more errors,  a couple of good chances to win the game resulted in both Wilson Noctor and Andy Glendinning being denied try scoring opportunities by stout Tynedale defence. With only a couple of minutes on the clock, the ball was fed back to Jack Walker whose attempted drop goal, just missed the left upright, and Tynedale then held on to the ball for the rest of the game.

Despite the dissapointment of narrowly losing, this was an encouraging start to the New Year, and the team can look forward to their cup game next week with some confidence.

Full report PDF

[slidepress gallery=’under-15s-v-tynedale’]