Old Crossleyans 12 v Carlisle RFC 7

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 8 years 2 months 17 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

North 1 East League
Saturday, 6th February 2009

No Bonus for Carlisle from improved display
Carlisle travelled to Halifax determined to restart their season after a disappointing spell.  This rematch after the November game was declared void by the league, after front row irregularities by the Yorkshire side, was a game the city outfit deserved to win.

After the kick off and an initial flurry by the hosts, Carlisle took the game to the Old Crocs, with the visiting pack putting on a powerful display, one that should have brought them a greater return in the opening quarter of an hour.

Old Crocs were forced into stoic defence of their line and the mystery is, why did Carlisle not take more points from their effort.  There was much more purpose than of late.

Carlisle opened their account on seven minutes when pivot, Lee Brumpton, touched down just left of the posts and Glen Weightman converted.

Despite their early domination and the bonus of calling the opening shots, the visitors gradually slipped back into old habits, unable to retain ball, slack handling and passing.

[slidepress gallery=’old-crossleyans-12-v-carlisle-rfc-6th-feb-2010′]
The penalty count against them was mounting and they succumbed twice, on fourteen and twenty four minutes, when their frustration at being unable to maintain their momentum got the better of them.

At the break one point advantage was never going to be enough, and Carlisle had lost veteran centre Simon Little, who had been introduced in an endeavour to strengthen the midfield, with a hand injury that was beyond running repair.  It was shame really, because his strong running and unpredictably was causing confusion for the Old Crocs,

After the break, Carlisle had to withstand an onslaught from a home side, clearly frustrated that they had been unable to break down the Carlisle wall thus far (apart from the penalties).  The defence coped well but conceded two further penalties to put them on the back foot.

Carlisle gradually worked their way back into the game and for the last period it tool all the Crocs could muster to keep the visitors at bay.  Camped for lengthy periods on the line, Carlisle, promised much and delivered little!  Despite their best efforts they could not get ove the line; too many wrong options and indecision let them down.

Hooker Tom Graham got over the line between the posts to touch down, but was adjudged to have dropped the ball.  What a fillip seven points would have been at that stage!  But, for all the disappointment the lads continued to pressure the home side but had to be content with scoring the only try of the match.

Carlisle have eleven games left to save ther season and the same effort applied in the coming weeks could well be their saviour!


Dan Smithson


George Graham (scrum half).


Lee Brumpton (try).
Glen Weightman (conversion).


15    Chris Harris (Ben Blain)
14    Dan Holmes
13    Barry Earl
12    Simon Little (Chris Harris)
11    Olly Barker
1      Steve Stamper (Captain)
2      Tom Graham
3      Martin Kalinowski
4      Martin McGimpsey (Dan Smithson)
5      Gary Graham
6      Dan Smithson (Mark Barron)
7      Bobby Sherlock
8      Lee Brumpton
16    Mark Barron
17    Adam Morrison
18    Ben Blain