Carlisle 27 v Billingham colts 23

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 7 years 10 months 14 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Saturday 27 March 2010
Carlisle Colts 27, Billingham Colts 23

An important game for both teams, although Carlisle having suffered defeat at Percy Park were looking to get back into winning ways; conditions could hardly be better, with the pitch in excellent condition a great day for running rugby. The game started lively with both teams settling into the match but it would be against play that the first try would be scored; Carlisle were down in the Billingham twenty two when a pass was intercepted, Carlisle players could only watch as the player ran all the way to the Carlisle try line and scoring the first points. The conversion followed putting Billingham 0 v 7. Carlisle would soon be back and were eventually rewarded a penalty for their efforts, S. Benson took the kick making the score 3 v 7. Billingham were to score again picking the ball up in their own half and another individual run put points on the board, Carlisle were getting very little for the amount of ball they were getting. Billingham were leading the game 3 v 12. It would be fair to say that the scoreboard did not reflect the game entirely, and this would soon change . . . firstly hooker T. McCullough crossed the line for Carlisle, then second row T. Dixon, followed by centre S. Benson, Benson would convert two of the three so at half time the score had changed and Carlisle were in the lead at 22 v 12.

The second half kicked off with a Carlisle drive to the line, this must have been an astounding 60 metres, Carlisle were on the scoreboard again, taking the score to 27 v 12, Billingham responded straight away with a try from the restart, 27 v 17. With the breeze now behind them Billingham were applying pressure to the Carlisle defence; Carlisle were to lose two players to the bin during the game, which did not help the cause, it did look as though the match was changing Billingham could not cross the Carlisle try line the defence was excellent though they did score 6 points from penalties taking the score to the final tally of 27 v 23.  The game was very much in two halves throughout the game a strong breeze blew up the pitch assisting both teams when playing with it, but the win was deserved by Carlisle. Once again thanks to the Groundsman, Billingham for making the long journey and giving us a spectacle to watch, the catering and bar staff and of course Robbie for standing in to manage the team.

View full match report