Carlisle 53 v Morpeth RFC 5

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 7 years 4 months 24 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

North 1 East League
Saturday, 23rd October 2010

Carlisle in try rout

Saturday at Warwick Road saw Carlisle in a try rout when they rattled 8 tries over the Morpeth line.  Not that any of it was easy, because the north east outfit did not make life as easy as the result would suggest for Carlisle.

After a slow start to the season, and games that they have lost narrowly, the city side have shown signs in recent weeks that their potential was developing at a satisfactory rate. Last week, a great away victory over Hartlepool Rovers was to prove the platform for an exciting display in front of home fans on Saturday.

The platform for this deserved success was the sterling work of the front eight who were creative throughout the game, and their dominance in both the set and open play was both effective and productive.  Results can often be misleading, especially when a large margin is involved.  Whilst there can be no dispute that Carlisle were the far better side on the day, Morpeth put a lot of effort into the game bu simply could not match the skill and tenacity of a team that was growing  in confidence by the minute.

[slidepress gallery=’carlisle-v-morpeth-rfc-23rd-october-2010′]

The Morpeth defence was put under severe early pressure and the eagerness of the city attack was there for all to see.  The first try came as early as the second minute when wingman Dan Holmes sliced through to touch down for Grant Connon to convert; and a few minutes later he landed a penalty.

The Carlisle XV were producing imaginative and constructive rugby and as the afternoon progressed , so did the intensity of effort.  Mounting frequent attacks from good regular ball, allowed the backs the freedom of the park, and even before the next try came, the visitors were pulled apart by the strong running Carlisle backs.  Centre Chris Harris and full back Lewis Boyd mesmerised their opponents with some strong running, cutting through on several occasions, with just the finish lacking.

On the quarter hour mark, young scrum half, Joe Blaylock, made a good break before setting off Brumpton for the first of his brace of tries.

The good thing about the Carlisle play was that it was not predictive and the lads clearly had confidence in the ability of each other to produce the goods!

Morpeth were never in the hunt in the opening half, and found their way into the Carlisle twenty two area only once.

Carlisle went into the break having added three more fine tries from skipper Mark Barron, with both Holmes and Brumpton each grabbing a second.  Connon converted two of them.

Following the interval, Morpeth came out with some fighting spirit and for around ten minutes that tested the Carlisle defence for ten minutes or so, but the defence held up.  The pleasing thing was that, under pressure they did not give away stupid penalties that has previously cost them games, and they weathered the flurries that came their way.

On 50 minutes scrum half Joe Blaylock, suffering a a minor injury, was replaced by Ben Blain.  There was no need to worry though, with the cultured Blain carrying on where the young pretender left off!  Three minutes on and it was the turn of Chris Harris to help himself to the first of his brace of tries.  It had only been a matter of time until be broke through after good support play inspired by Brummo.  Again, Connon converted.

At 59 minutes with the game relatively safe, Carlisle made a double replacement;  Martin Kalinowski replaced Martin McGimpsey at tight head, and Dan Smithson coming on for Brumpton who had a slight ankle sprain.

There was little dislocation the Carlisle organisation, with the newcomers fitting in well and within ten minutes hooker, Tom Graham, always a menace, battled his way over for an unconverted try.

Morpeth followed with another flurry for a few minutes when replacement flanker, Andy Wotherspoon touched down wide on the right for his sides only score of the game.

Harris completed the rout with his second converted try four minutes from time.

An excellent effort from the whole team who deserved their success.  Having won two successive games, the team need to remember though, that two swallows don’t necessarily make a spring, and that there is no room for complacency, because there will be some harder nuts to crack.  But on this showing they should have some renewed confidence in their own ability.

The five league points from the Morpeth game, coupled with reverses for teams above them has lifted them into eighth slot in what is a very competitive league in which results are still unpredictable.

Scorers for Carlisle:

Tries:            Dan Holmes (2), Lee Brumpton (2), Chris Harris (2), Tom Graham (1) and Mark Barron (1).

Cons:            Grant Connon (5).

Pens:            Grant Connon (1).

The starting team:

15    Lewis Boyd
14    Martin Brodie
13    Chris Harris
12    Barry Earl
11    Dan Holmes
10    Grant Connon
9      Joe Blaylock (Ben Blain)
1      Steve Stamper
2      Tom Graham
3      Martin McGimpsey (Martin Kalinowski)
4      Mark Barron
5      Paul Halliday
6      Mark Allan
7      Bobby Sherlock
8      Lee Brumpton (Dan Smithson)
16    Martin Kalinowski
17    Dan Smithson
18    Ben Blain

MAN OF THE MATCH & BEST OF THE BACKS: Dan Holmes (see picture above)

PICK OF THE PACK: That wily loose head prop who masters all that comes his way  –  STEVE STAMPER.

To complete a good afternoon for Carlisle, their colts walloped Morpeth Colts by 69 pts to 10 pts and the 2nd XV (Crusaders) travelled to Kendal in the University of Salford NW Intermediate League Division 1.  They came away from Mint Bridge with a creditable victory.  Having been down at 29 pts to 10 pts, they battled their way back a took the game at 34 pts to 29 pts  –  and that lifts them up their league too.


For those that missed last weeks deliberate mistake  –  it wasn’t Paul Halliday who scored a try  –  should have been Barry Earl.  A mistake in transmission  –  and if you believe that…………well!

Next week:
Away at Northern.  Plenty of room on the coach for supporters.