Under 16’s v Morpeth

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 7 years 5 months 8 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

The under 16’s travelled to Morpeth looking to build on an impressive performance the previous week against Sunderland.

Although Carlisle started promisingly with a break down the middle by Scott Hogarth, the Morpeth side were able to repel the visitors and some driving forward play down the right by the home side quickly put 5 points on the board.

Carlisle did attack down the Morpeth left and were unlucky not to have scored in the corner. Morpeth however were much the more determined side and were only prevented from scoring by some good cover tackling by fullback Jack Walker. Morpeth continued to maintain their attacking momentum and worked the ball quickly right to score their second try in the corner which they converted.

With a third Morpeth try closely following, the Carlisle side had to soak up a lot of pressure to keep the score at 17-0 down at the end of the first half.

[slidepress gallery=’carlisle-rfc-under-16s-v-morpeth-10th-oct-2010′]

Morpeth pressed on from the start of the second half and some poor Carlisle tackling let Morpeth through for their fourth try. Carlisle were beginning to wake up and some reshuffling of the backline was starting to give Morpeth some problems. Trying to throw the ball around to create some space however gifted Morpeth a fifth try from an interception.

Carlisle did eventually get into the game from the restart and from a scrum midway into the Morpeth half the ball was worked through the backs and good hands from Jack Walker allowed Scott Hogarth to slip past the Morpeth defence on the left.

From the restart the Carlisle side managed to retain posession and Jack Walker was again instrumental in releasing Alex Murray to hit a straight line through the Morpeth defence to score a 50m try. That was however to be the last of the attacks by Carlisle and the game eventually ended with Morpeth worthy winners.

Result:            29 v 12
Half time score:        17 v 0

Report sent in by:        Bill Glendinning