Consett v Carlisle Under 16’s

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 7 years 2 months 16 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Carlisle under 16’s travelled to Consett on 6th March, looking to build on their previous impressive outing against Workington.

A few positional changes resulted in a nervous few minutes at the start as players got to grips with the play. Consett started the brighter team and soon put the Carlisle defence under some pressure as their larger forwards threatened to break through.

However the Carlisle team soon woke up and were encouraged as Scrum half Olly Armstrong made a break for the line, just being put into touch 5m out. Consett managed to clear their lines only to commit a penalty just inside Carlisle’s half. A quick tap and go saw centre Andy Glendinning burn the Consett winger, but a great cover tackle from the Consett full back held him up short of the line.

Consett again managed to clear their lines only for them to commit another penalty in the Carlisle half, and from the resulting line out on the Consett 22m, the backs quickly worked the ball across the field to put winger Reuben “Lomu” Shepherd in the corner. The Consett team had barely time to recover when further pressure from the visitors and some deft handling through the backs put Shepherd in the corner for his second try.

With Consett increasingly on the back foot, the visitors were soon putting them under the cosh again, and a breakthrough by lock Dean Kirsopp was just held up, though he managed to offload in the tackle to put winger Joel Collins-Butterworth in the left corner for the third try. As the match wore on the difference in organisation between the teams began to show, and some flowing passages of play put Carlisle in front of the posts. With Consett continously infringing at the breakdown, the resulting tap and go penalty by hooker Chris Marsh was just thwarted, but the ball was worked left where Consett managed to steal the ruck ball. However Glendinning spotted the ball had come out, nicked it and dived over for the fourth try of the match and the last score of the half.

[slidepress gallery=’consett-v-carlisle-rfc-under-16s-6th-march-2011′]

The second half started as the first finished, with Marsh bagging a try under the posts after some good running and support play by the props Alex Murray and  James Bulman. Consett had not given up and whilst Carlisle were trying to be creative through the back line, the Consett winger intercepted the ball in his 22 and managed to shake off replacement lock Jack Mitchell with a 70m dash for a try under the posts. This proved to be only a temporary hiccup as No 8 Stuart Cannon stole a lineout on the Consett 22 and the ball was again worked right across the back line for Glendinning to go over for his second try.

By now the visitors were overpowering Consett and a try from centre Wilson Noctor, and one each from Shepherd and Glendinning to grab their hat-tricks, put the visitors well out of reach.

This was an impressive display by the under 16’s with an exhibition of running rugby backed up by good forward and support play. Lets hope the momentum is maintained for the forthcoming cup match.

Result:            51 v 5
Half time score:        22 v 0

Report sent in by:        Bill Glendinning