Under 13’s Cumbria Cup Final

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 6 years 10 months 13 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Date:            10th April 2011
Kick off time:        1.00 pm
Venue:            Penrith
Won / drawn / lost:    Won
Result:            5 v 7
Half time score:    15 v 12

In an intensely close fought match Carlisle U13’s scored in the last play of the game to beat Kirkby Lonsdale 15 – 12 In the County Cup Final at Penrith last Sunday.  Kirkby arrived without having lost a game all season or conceding any tries all this year.

The first half saw Kirkby Lonsdale controlling with their strong pack pegging Carlisle back well into their half, after 15 minutes their tenacity saw them break through for a try, which they duly converted.  The game continued with some great play from the forwards and the backs of both teams, with nothing between them.

It was all the more impressive when you consider the sweltering conditions all the boys were playing in.  Determined play from Carlisle’s forwards eventually saw them drive close to the line and despite strong defensive work from Kirkby, front row Max Graham used all his strength to drive over for Carlisle’s first try, which did not get converted. 

7-5 to Kirkby at half time.

The second half continued the same as the first but strong running from the Kirkby backs saw them run in a fine second try.  The conversion was missed.

Carlsisle then responded by starting to pin Kirkby back into their own half and in the hot conditions Carlisle appeared to take the upper hand with posession.  Better rucking and getting posession at scrums eventually saw Carlisle centre Matty Douglas drive over for Carlisles’ second, which was not converted. 12-10, to Kirby Lonsdale.

Carlisle RFC Under 13's Cumbria Cup award

Proud winners

The pace of the game was relentless and for the last 10 minutes of the game the ball was never more than 20 metres from Kirkby Lonsdale’s line, as the Carlisle pack persistently drove against an equally determined Kirkby defensive line.  A number of infringements from Kirby saw Carlisle take the initiative to drive from a number of free kicks and eventually with less than 2 minutes to go the Kirby Captain was was given a yellow card.

Carlisle played it out wide and from another free kick, first Max Graham drove for the line only to be repelled, then James Telford had a go and finally flanker Josh Atkinson used his small frame to drive and then roll over, to place the ball across the line for Carlisle’s third try. 

Unfortunately, Struan Kyle’s conversion kick which was out wide just dropped short of the posts, but it didn’t matter – it was the last play of the game and Carlisle had won! 15-12.

A great game fought in very difficult conditions and credit to both Clubs.

A tremendous effort for all involved in the Carlisle Team and a reflection of all the effort that has gone on this year as the team has gradually had to built itself up from a difficult start.  Well done.

Report sent in by:        G Telford