Colts v Alnwick 17 Sept 2011

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 6 years 5 months 6 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Despite the early monsoon and the lack of referees the Colts managed to press on with their League campaign in their first home game of the season against a lively Alnwick side.

The game was pretty evenly contested in the first 10 minutes until the Alnwick fly half managed to break through the Carlisle defence to score under the posts.

Carlisle were quick to bounce back though, and some pressure down the left saw the ball recycled through the backs, with fly half Tom McMann feeding fullback Euan Foster to scythe through the Alnwick defence to score in the left corner.

Unfortunately this was to be our no 10’s last contribution, going off with an ankle injury. With our other fly half already refereeing the match, Jason Israel ably stepped up to the mark, no mean feat since he hasn’t trained with the squad before. With very little between the two teams, Alnwick were beginning to increase the pressure, until Foster intercepted a pass in the Carlisle 22.

Breaking through a number of tackles he released winger Scott Hogarth to speed down the left touchline and score under the posts, converted by centre Alex Clark, for the last points of the first half.

Carlisle started the second half strongly and Alnwick were soon on the back foot, committing a penalty in front of the posts, which Clark converted. He was unfortunate to miss another penalty attempt further out, as Carlisle were beginning to press forward. A searching kick by Israel resulted in a line out close to the Alnwick 10m line.

[slidepress gallery=’carlisle-colts-v-alnwick-rfc-17-sept-2011′]

With Carlisle winning the ball, it was quickly worked across the back line, opening up the Alnwick defence for Hogarth to dive through the gap to claim his second try, again converted by Clark. Alnwick however were not giving up, and with Carlisle losing concentration for a moment, the defence was opened up for Alnwick to score with the last play of the game.

Congratulations to both teams for providing a very enjoyable game to watch for the spectators, despite the conditions underfoot, and to the referee for keeping the game flowing.

Man of the Match –  A Robertson

Date            17.9.2011
Kick off time:        2.50pm
Match:            Carlisle v Alnwick
Venue:            Carlisle
Won / drawn / lost:    won
Result:            22 v 12
Half time score:    12 v 7