Former Club Chairman, Bill Swarbrick Dies

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 6 years 1 month 17 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

It is with sadness that we report the death of a former Chairman of the club, Bill Swarbrick.

Bill Swarbrick

Bill Swarbrick - Will be sadly missed

Bill, who had been ill for some time with cancer, died at home surrounded by his wife and family.

Bill had been associated with Carlisle RFC for many years, and the for the last decade as chairman of the club.  He stepped down in July 2010.

As well as his legendary culinary skills in the club kitchen, something that hundreds, if not thousands of players up and down the land had benefitted from, he was also involved, along with others, in raising a lot of money and other tangible assets for the benefit of the club and members.
A former chief executive of Cumbria County Council, he was also a deputy lieutenant of the county, and involved with a number of other organisations and charities in the Carlisle area.
He leaves his wife Catherine, daughter Rebecca (Liverpool) and son James in Australia.  All at Carlisle RFC mourn his passing and our thoughts are with his family at this very sad time.
At the time of writing, his funeral arrangements had not been finalised but it is understood that it is likely to be around lunchtime on Friday, 14th October in Carlisle.
Full details will be posted as soon as they become available.

Club secretary David Morton said:

“Bill was one of those people for whom nothing was too much trouble. Carlisle Rugby Club have many reasons to be grateful for his wise counsel and I am sure that some fitting and lasting tribute to his memory will be developed in due course after consultation with his family”.

A minutes silence will be observed at all matches at Warwick Road on 8th October, and Wigton who entertain Carlisle in NBW 1 have agreed that a minutes silence will also be observed at Lowmoor Road just before the kick off.