Colts v Billingham 12th Nov

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 6 years 7 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Colts v Billingham 12th Nov

The Colts travelled to Billingham on Saturday 12th November in what will probably be their toughest away match all season with a depleted team and a number of players playing in completely unfamiliar positions.

With two players playing in the second row for the first time it was not surprising that the forwards struggled in the set piece.

Billingham soon exploited this and within the first ten minutes had two tries on the scoreboard. Carlisle tried to make an impression on the Billingham defence but the home side defended strongly and despite the efforts of fullback Alex Clark, Billingham broke away for another try in the left corner.

All credit to the visitors that they didn’t give up, and a passage of driving forward play led by Clements, Mitchell and Marsh, saw the Colts unlucky to be held up on the line. From the resulting scrum, fly half Adam Robertson broke through a number of tackles and off-loaded for centre Andy Glendinning to touchdown for the first Carlisle try.

[slidepress gallery=’billingham-v-carlisle-colts-rfc-12th-nov-2011′]

Any notion that Billingham were starting to crumble was swiftly dashed when they scored from the restart and then finished the first half with their fifth try from the last play of the half.

Carlisle started much more brightly in the second half and with the Billingham scrum starting to weaken, the Carlisle forwards held their own and from the set piece the visitors soon had more points on the board courtesy of Alex Clark.

With Carlisle continuing to run all over the park and press the home side, the Billingham side were constrained to their half for a significant part of the second half.

Only through sheer fatigue did the Billingham winger managed to break through a number of weary tackles to score under the posts. Carlisle managed to get their second wind, and were back to probing the Billingham defence in their own half.

With the forwards winning set piece ball from another scrum, the Carlisle backs worked the ball across the park for Alex Clark to score the third Carlisle try and bring the game to a close.

This was certainly a game of two halves with Billingham dominating the first, and Carlisle coming out top in the second.
Date:            12.11.2011
Kick off time:        2.15pm
Match:            Billingham v Carlisle
Venue:            Billingham
Won / drawn / lost:    lost
Result:            38 v 15
Half time score:    31 v 5

Report sent in by:        Bill Glendinning