Broughton Park 11 v Carlisle RFC 17

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 6 years 23 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

After a reverse on home soil the previous weekend, Carlisle needed to get their revival drive back on track.  Unlucky against Northwich the visit to Hough End was the first by the city side since the 2005 / 2006 season after gaining promotion.
Prior to Carlisle coming calling, Broughton Park had lost a straight eight matches on the trot, tumbling from fourth place to below Carlisle in the league placings, so they had the northerners in their sights to try and escape the clutches of the relegation zone.
The Warwick Road men travelled with a changed team but the spirit was good;  perhaps just as well because with the least share of the possession, they spent long periods under the cosh.
Carlisle opened brightly enough and were ahead on two minutes with a try under the sticks from centre Matt Minett giving Glen Weightman an easy conversion.
The Mancunians opened their account with a penalty on nineteen minutes but within five minutes debutant flanker Andrew Blaney touched down for Weightman to convert.
On the half hour the Carlisle lead was pegged back with an unimproved try.
With a minute to go to the break, Park were menacing in the Carlisle 22 area when Blaney saw a yellow card for a deliberate trip, the hosts adding points from the penalty.

[slidepress gallery=’carlisle-v-broughton-park-rfc-25th-feb-2012′]
After the break Joe Anderson replaced prop Ed Faulder with Dan Smithson taking over from hooker Carl Wills (shoulder).
It was a tense second half, with the homesters having a lions share of possession, and Carlisle in a defiant defensive mode, with the only points coming from a Weightman penalty on fifty five minutes.
A flamboyant display from either side it was not, but Carlisle did what they had to do to secure a victory that has lifted them to seventh in the league.  No room for complacency though, it might look secure, but mathematically there is still danger lurking should they let up in their exploits.

RFU SSE North 1 West League
Saturday, 25th February 2012

Carlisle man of the match: Tim Hughes
Scorers for Carlisle:
Tries:        Matt Minett (1) and Andrew Blaney (1)
Cons:        Glen Weightman (2)
Pens:        Glen Weightman (1)
The Carlisle squad:
15    Lewis Boyd
14    Dan Holmes (Matt Little)
13    Barry Earl
12    Matt Minett
11    Martin Brodie
10    Glen Weightman
9      Tim Hughes
1      Ed Faulder (Joe Anderson)
2      Carl Wills (Dan Smithson)
3      Martin McGimpsey
4      Paul Halliday
5      Callum Rowlandson
6      Andrew Blaney
7      Bobby Sherlock (C)
8      Mark Barron
16    Joe Anderson
17    Dan Smithson
18    Matt Little
Next match:  Saturday 3rd March away at Wilmslow  –  coach leaves Warwick Road at 10.15 am.