U15’s v Kirby Lonsdale

Print This Post Print This Post

This post was published 5 years 11 months 29 days ago.

It has been left on the site for ARCHIVE purposes only and is not actively maintained.

For team and score information please follow this link

Both Carlisle and Kirby Lonsdale under 15s fielded the bare minimum of 15 players in what proved to be an extremely close and entertaining game that included plenty of powerful forwards’ play and lots of exiting running by both sets of backs.

Carlisle started brightly enough pushing the visitors back into their 22 for the first few minutes until the Kirby winger picked up and broke scoring a length of the pitch solo try.

Carlisle immediately set about evening things and Angus Fulton forced his way through three tackles to touch down in the corner.

Kirby kept the ball alive well in the centres and extended their lead with a second try before Elliott Baines used his pace for the first try of a hattrick.

[slidepress gallery=’carlisle-u15s-v-kirky-lonsdale-rfc-26th-feb-2012′]

James Spencer provided the conversion – one of three he made in total. Just before half time Kirby scored again to maintain the lead at the interval.

In the second half the intensity of the game increased and both teams fought hard for every yard. The packs were pretty equal and worked really well to get the ball clear to the backs. Elliott Baines was first to benefit from this open play as he grabbed a second try after a wonderful selfless pass from James Spencer.

Kirby came straight back with a try and Baines got his third with a good solo break from 20 meters out. Kirby were not finished and their pressure in Carlisle’s half won a turnover ball that was fed out to the wing for a fifth try.

Despite Carlisle pushing hard for the last few minutes the Kirby defence held strong and finished with a three point advantage at 26-29.

Date:            26.2.12
Kick off time:        11.00am
Match:            Carlisle v Kirby Lonsdale
Venue:            Carlisle
Won / drawn / lost:    Lost
Result:            26 v 29
Half time score:    12 v 17
Report sent in by:        Peter Fulton